May 29, 2011

A Run to Remember

This past winter my sister and I decided that we were going to train together to run a half marathon. She and her husband Justin came to Pullman to help celebrate Brendan's birthday at the beginning of March--we ran a run together to "kick-off" our training.



We decided to run in the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in San Diego!! The last sister weekend we had just the two of us was back when I was in college and Jenni was in high school. We've been very excited!

Unfortunately, after 2 months of hard training, Jenni had to stop running because of hurt shins (most likely a stress fracture). After some discussion and the decision to still finish the race together in San Diego, I decided to run my own 1/2 marathon in Pullman before our race in San Diego. My competitive side needed to know how fast I could run 13.1 miles!

So, Josh and I mapped out a course running a loop in Moscow, running on the Chipman Trail to Pullman, and then finishing a loop around Pullman 13.1 miles!! My Mom helped man two water stations along the way and Her, Josh, and Brendan met me at the "finish line"! My sweet mother also brought me a post race breakfast and sent congratulations balloons to school (I truly have the best mother ever).



The really neat part was that the day it worked for me to run my race was the one year anniversary of my grandpa passing away. How special to be able to run on that day. I love him so much and miss him greatly. I am so proud to be his grand-daughter.

I was able to run the course in 1 hour and 50 minutes with an average mile time of 8.40 minutes. I was happy with my time and am looking forward to a sister weekend and my SECOND 1/2 Marathon run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment